Winter Travel Preparations
A Winter Weather Advisory is issued for Northwest Missouri, including portions of the KCHI listening area. If you will be on the road Tuesday, especially if you are traveling north or west of Chillicothe, allow extra time for any travel plans.
If you will be on the road, check the MoDOT traveler information map for road conditions and adjust your route as needed.
MoDOT has offered several safety tips for those that will be on the road.
- Wear your seat belt and don’t drive distracted. Buckle Up Phone Down.
- Slow down and adjust your speed to the conditions. Do not use your cruise control in icy conditions.
- Keep mirrors, windows, and lights clean.
- If your wipers are on, keep your headlights on. It’s the law.
- Stay at least six car lengths back from snowplows and equipment. Plowed snow can create a cloud that can blind drivers following too closely.
- If you encounter car troubles or are involved in a crash, please remain in your vehicle and call for assistance.
There are also a few things you should keep in your vehicle when traveling in the winter months. They include: Your cell phone and charger, blanket, flashlight, batteries, first aid kit, high calorie – non-perishable food, a can and candle for melting snow for drinking water, sack of sand or kitty litter for traction, a shovel, scraper, and jumper cables.
If you are on the road and find you need assistance, you can dial *55 and you will be connected to the nearest Highway Patrol. In an emergency, call 911 and be prepared to give them as much detail on your location as possible.